Reusable Custom Display Styles for Service Portal Announcements
Communicate important messages like outages or changes to your portal audience quickly and easily.
The Service Portal Announcements feature makes creating and maintaining on-brand or color-coded announcements simple and easy.
With a handful of key configurations available, as well as custom reusable styles, Announcements raises the bar for Service Portal functionality. Watch the below video to learn how easy it is to create a custom Announcement Style with ServiceNow®.
This guide will be focusing on creating “Announcement Styles”. These styles can be re-used when creating or maintaining future announcements. This is useful if you are an instance administrator creating custom styles on your own, or if you are a project sponsor/stakeholder involved in a Service Portal project. A set of announcement styles needed for specific use cases would be great information to provide at the beginning stages of a portal project.
First, find an existing Announcement or create a new one. After completing the mandatory fields and other pertinent information, select the search icon next to the “Display Style” field and select “New”.
To re-use the announcement style, simply search for the name of the style created instead of selecting “New”.
Steps to create an Announcement style:
1. Give the Style a name. This name should be descriptive of a theme or the situations in which to use the intended Style.
For example, “Light Branded Style” or “Dark Branded Style” would be descriptive of a theme. “Urgent Outage Style” or “ITIL Targeted News Style” describes when to use the style.
2. Select a background color. This will be the color behind the Announcement text. Use brand colors if you aren’t sure where to start. Red is great to convey urgency or importance. Green conveys success or a fix.
Make sure to use a HEX color, which means put a pound (#) sign before 3 or 6 numbers/letters. If you aren’t sure what the hexadecimal of a color is, you can easily google an online Hexadecimal color picker.
3. Choose a foreground color. This will be the color of the text and icon of the Announcement. Ensure the Background color and Foreground color have enough contrast for the best visibility
4. Lastly, we can select the Alignment of the Announcement text. Be aware, putting different text alignments in close proximity could be jarring. Aim for consistency.
5. Submit the Announcement Style once all the fields have been completed. The newly created Announcement Style should be populated in the “Display Style” field and will be applied to the Announcement.
To learn more about Service Portal, view our offering here.
Contact us: email@example.com